Old June 30th 09, 12:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
EdV[_2_]

Default Skiing and back problems

On Jun 23, 4:13*pm, Larry wrote:
Hi,

I recently developed what seems to be sciatica - a kind of pinched
nerve that causes tingling/numbness in the leg and foot. The onset
coincided with the couple of times I went for some uphill training
(skate rollerski). I'm now doing evaluation and physical therapy, but
the docs and therapists don't have any idea about the sport and its
possible effects on this condition. It would be great to see a doctor
(NJ, PA, NYC and thereabouts) who can speak about this with authority.
Or at least to be referred to a reliable source for information.

Any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks!

I have found some relief doing supine (laying on your back) hamstring
and glut stretching. Your hams and gluts pull on your lower back
muscles which in turn "freak out" to protect your spine. The
"freaked out" muscles then pinch nerves radiating out from your spine.

I did yoga postures for a number of years but tended to not keep my
lower back isolated which would end up making my back hurt even more.
The supine stretches have helped immensely.

Sorry not be able to provide a consult. My picked my GP on his
interest in sports and willingness to treat injuries with rehab and
pain relief rather than "do nothing for 6 to 8 weeks"