Old May 10th 08, 10:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Hugh P

Default Fans' Skiing Commentary and Analysis

The cyclismag.com articles referred to calculate power using an
assumption that all the riders weigh the same 70kg (154lb), plus 8kg
for their bikes, so if a rider is lighter than this, his power output
is actually lower than that calculated, and if heavier, higher. It
would be interesting to see the tables calculated on the basis of real
weight, and see which riders are putting out more power but because of
their weight not winning the climbs.

Something that struck me when I first found myself standing beside
world cup biathletes in their casual clothes was how thin and gaunt
they looked close up: even people like Sven Fischer and Halvard
Hanevold, who look so bulky and burly on TV, had hollow cheeks and
looked like 18-yr olds.

I had been calculating how many calories and how much pasta to consume
from formulae supplied by sports nutritionists, and found that even
with my gargantuan love of food it was hard to eat as much as they
said I should, and indeed I reckoned these guys looked a lot thinner
than I did. I wonder whether the advice from the nutritionists is
tuned more for general health than for peak performance - it seems
that there are many areas where what top athletes do contradicts the
advice generally given.

On May 7, 4:15 pm, wrote:
Impressive job. THis blog is promising

Fore those interested in power caclulation figures

TDF 2007 figureshttp://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=3466
Giro 2007 figureshttp://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=3362