Old June 23rd 04, 06:54 PM
Arvin Chang

Default Beginners Board

(mick quigley) wrote in message . com...
OK - I'm the first to admit. I'm a big, fat *******.
185CM/100KG or 6'1"/220LB depending on your accent.
Skill level is beginner-low intermediate.
Intended use is freeride, the half pipe just isn't my scene.

The board I'm looking at with interest is a Supermodel 168 (second
hand) with the appropriate bindings. Probably a few years old but
seems in good condition (no gouges, scrapes, bloodstains).

From my research (ya gotta love the internet!) it seems as though the
supermodel can be a bit 'floppy' - I guess my concern is that I may
outgrow this board a bit quick.

My favorite review sites

http://www.boardreviews.com
http://www.outdoorreview.com/

Always take the direct reviews with a grain of salt, especially for
people who have less than 5 years of snowboarding experience.

Also, I've seen a few comments about how Burton boards in general tend
to lose what little stiffness they start out with.

Other comments are that with the Super, you should select a board
~10CMs longer than you usually use.

I've seen the same (on both points), although more like 4-7 cm and not
10 cm.

Questions:

1. Is this likely to be a board I can use for a while without
outgrowing it?

My opinion is no I don't think you will be able to use this board for
several seasons, because the board is just too soft for you. Mike T
here was 190 lbs and found it too soft, and you are a good 30 lbs
heavier. It might be nice for you first season.

2. Is the 'over-flexibility' and degradation of these boards an
issue?

Yea, Burton boards tend to fall apart - the topsheet delams, rails
pull out, they lose their camber quickly, etc. To Burton's credit they
used to replace boards very quickly (1 year warranty), doesn't really
help you out since the board is way past warranty.

The main thing you should check with such an old board is the camber,
put the board on a flat surface base down and see if the middle of the
board is at least a cm higher than the tips. If it's not, the base had
be worn out.

3. Would I be better off with some other design in a ~160ish length?

Personally I believe so. At your weight, you should be riding a
"regular" 165cm board, not a Supermodel 168, which rides like a 160 cm
board.

4. How would I tell the manufacture year of this board? Did the
graphics change much?

It is at least 4 years old since Burton stopped making them in 2000.
BTW, you do have bindings that can take the Burton 3D pattern, right?