Old June 23rd 04, 09:08 AM
mick quigley

Default Beginners Board

OK - I'm the first to admit. I'm a big, fat *******.

185CM/100KG or 6'1"/220LB depending on your accent.

Skill level is beginner-low intermediate.

Intended use is freeride, the half pipe just isn't my scene.

The board I'm looking at with interest is a Supermodel 168 (second
hand) with the appropriate bindings. Probably a few years old but
seems in good condition (no gouges, scrapes, bloodstains).

From my research (ya gotta love the internet!) it seems as though the
supermodel can be a bit 'floppy' - I guess my concern is that I may
outgrow this board a bit quick.

Also, I've seen a few comments about how Burton boards in general tend
to lose what little stiffness they start out with.

Other comments are that with the Super, you should select a board
~10CMs longer than you usually use.

Questions:

1. Is this likely to be a board I can use for a while without
outgrowing it?
2. Is the 'over-flexibility' and degradation of these boards an
issue?
3. Would I be better off with some other design in a ~160ish length?
4. How would I tell the manufacture year of this board? Did the
graphics change much?

Thx,

Mick.