Old March 26th 07, 07:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

Default Speed Cameras in France

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 01:03:59 +0100, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

"Snorer" wrote in message
Just returned from a short trip to Chamonix and I'm sure I was caught by
the speed camera just as you leave Switzerland onto the French motorway.
Does anybody have any experience of being caught this way. What are the
fines and how do the Car hire companies handle this, do the impose a
surcharge?. I rented from Sixt at Geneva.

You need to read the T&C of the hire contract. - I doubt that it is good
news :-(

I imagine it'll be the same as in the US or UK. They simply charge it
to your credit card, which they've already got authorisation to do in
the contract you had with them. I've had this happen in the UK and I
imagine it's pretty much the norml elsewhere.

The only saving grace will be if you'd hired the car in Switzerland.
The French system does not chase foreign-registered vehicles for
traffic offences, despite the legal agreements for them to do so being
in place. I last tested this only a few months ago, getting flashed
more than once in my Swiss-plated car on a French road near where I
live.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)