Old February 12th 06, 01:18 PM

In article . com,
Woody wrote:

I have been there twice in the past year and would recommend it.
Well-run operation with great chalet and food and interesting terrain.
Ruedi runs things like clockwork so the group leaves on time (with or
without you) and there is not a lot of screwing around during the ski
days.

The guests tend to be pretty fit and accomplished backcountry skiers
and those who are not will not be able to keep up with the pace and
will end up going in early or taking a day or more off.

I have never been to Selkirk Mountain Experience but have talked with
several who have been there; I've been to Purcell Lodge many times
(indoor hot water and showers), and I think they are at opposite ends
of the spectrum from hard core to luxury. There are a number of other
operations in between on that spectrum, such as Sorcerer Lake, Golden
Alpine Holidays, Mistaya Lodge (harder core to more luxury L- R, I
think). I've been to GAH and liked it very much (outhouse only);
Sorcerer, I've been told, has steeper terrain than GAH and is run by
the sister of Alison Dakin, who runs GAH: Mistaya Lodge is more like
Purcell Lodge from what I've seen and what little I've heard directly

I think it's fair to say that if you and everyone in your group are
skilled, fit and want to maximize your vertical, Selkirk is your place;
if you travel with a group of varying skill and/or aggressiveness, one
of the other places would be better. The accomodations at Purcell are
great but the terrain is better at GAH IMHO.