Old September 16th 03, 11:50 PM
Brian Edmonds

Default looking for content: rec.skiing.announce

I took over the technical moderator role for rec.skiing.announce in
March of this year after it had been given up by its previous moderator
three years before. Needless to say the group was seriously damaged by
the extended quiet period, and has had almost no valid submissions in
the last six months, and even almost no spam. I would like to revive
the group if possible, or if it is not possible, or desireable to do so,
simply shut it down and rmgroup it.

This message is crossposted to news.groups (as the centre of the
universe , and the main alpine, nordic and snowboarding groups as
(hopefully) the most representative cross-section of active rec.skiing
users. Please restrict your followups to the most appropriate group(s).

What I am looking for, in the main, is for people to submit content to
the group (ie. post!). I am also interested in finding hierarchy users
who are willing to serve on the moderation team for the group. Ideally
these should be people who are also interested in going out and finding
useful content for the group, but knowledgeable and respected
participants in rec.skiing newsgroups who only have enough time to help
with moderation are also welcome. Content volunteers should just start
posting. Moderation volunteers should email me directly. My software
requires very little technical background, so don't let that deter you.

I'm also open to arguments for the removal of the newsgroup, which
should be crossposted to news.groups, as I don't read any of the skiing
groups apart from rec.skiing.announce. In the long run if the content
does not start showing up I will consider that to be an implicit
argument in favour of removing the newsgroup, and proceed in that
direction.

Brian.