Old September 11th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated

Default Summer glacier skiing?

Hello. I live in Norway and I'm a bit involved in the skiing scene over
here.
Glacier skiing in Norway can vary from slush to fresh snow. We're so
far north that it often can be better in Norway than in central Europe.
However, this year we've had a very warm summer in combination with
relatively little snow in the mountains during the winter. Subsequently
the skiing conditiones on Norwegian glaciers this summer have been
poor. (We've used a lot of salt during training sessions.) In fact in
August all three summer skiing centers in Norway had closed down due to
lack of snow. (You can't ski on pure ice, it will be a lot of
crevasses.)

My personal opinion is that glaciers are much more fun for
climbing/walking than skiing. So leave the skiing for the winter and
concentrate on climbing/walking in the summer.

Ketil

DZN skrev:
I just (late August) came back from Norway where I was near, but did not go
to where I could ski on a glacier. I didn't have much time and assumed it
would be lousy skiing (ice in the morning slush by midday). Has anyone
skied on a glacier in the summer there or Whistler Blackcomb or else where?
How was it?