Old December 17th 03, 06:51 PM
Marsh Jones

Default what was 'the New Skate' ?

Sly D. Skeez wrote:
(Chris Cline) wrote in message oo.com...

--0-1413041232-1071595423=:14738

Based on what I noticed while teaching a ski clinic last night, I

agree with the "compromise" position. My one concern about the "new
skate" with newer/"weaker"/ less accomplished skiers, is the emphasis
on cadence. I think it would be easy for a less technically
proficient skiier to have a fast cadence, but always be _between their
skis_, rather than rapidly transferring their weight from ski to ski.

[snip]
Jay Wenner

We've several brand new skiers on our high school team this year, and
the two biggest 'sins' I see are never transferring weight onto one ski
(wide stance, inside edges) and 'bucket butting' from not using the
torso to initiate poling. There's a lot more to it than that, but the
combination of never getting on one ski and arm-poling seems to raise
the cadence without raising speed.
If I analyze it correctly, the failure to commit to a ski means you get
a very short poor push off the power ski, and lots of friction due to a
small running surface on the glide ski; coupled with a very short,
choppy pole and an almost terminal inability to catch up to the skis
since your weight is so far back and down. That means you never do get
your arms out in a powerful initiate position, which re-inforces the
whole cycle.

Marsh Jones