Old November 10th 03, 04:00 PM
Mark Eastman

Default Recommendations for western XC lodge?

I second the nomination of the Hills Health Ranch located near 100 Mile
House B.C. I didn't actually stay there, but at the nearby 108 Ranch (I
think that was the name). I was there during an exceptionally snowy, good
cold winter....and found that track system a total delight. I generally
skied over to the Hills Ranch for lunch...food was great...I wished I had
actually stayed there. I did hear that the particular winter I was there
was unusually reliable. I think it was back in 1991/92can't quite remember.
Because of the relatively low elevation of the area...compared to other
western settings....they can suffer from low snow cover. I'd watch the
weather and check carefully to see what Mother Nature has in store for this
winter. My impression is that most of the North American continent....as
well as Europe at the moment are under a mild airflow......with some cold
snaps of short duration here and there.

Mark
"Bob Whitefield" wrote in message
om...
My wife and I are looking for a new lodge to visit, preferably in the
western states. This is what my wife wants:

- Not a big crowded downhill place. Quaint is good.
- Plenty of not-too-challenging, groomed XC trails.
- Ski out the door, or at least no driving required to trails.
- Scenic mountains.
- Really good food.
- Dogsledding, hot tub, sauna all big plusses.

We really like the Franconia Inn in NH, also the Gunflint Lodge in MN
was fun, but we'd like to try something different. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Bob