Old January 18th 06, 02:04 PM

lal_truckee wrote:
Dave Smith wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:

...Let's just say that if you are old
enough to have a 14 year old kid, you are going to be one of the oldest
people on the hill.

I call Non sequitur.

Not entirely, but maybe I should have explained. It is a little more
physically demanding that some people realize. There is more to it
than just
standing on a pair of skis and letting gravity do the work. It takes
a lot
of energy to counter gravity and keep yourself under control. I tried
downhill skiing after more than 15 years of cross country skiing. That
taught me some basics about balance, but I always thought that downhill
skiing would be easier..... until I tired it. I had no problem on the
bunny
hill, thanks to Xcountry experience. I had no problem on the beginner
hill. I
set off for an intermediate hill. Half way down that hill for the
fourth time
I thought my thighs were going to explode.

Bad technique; Leaning back stresses the quads. Get forward over the skis.

I was 43 the first time I tried down hill skiing, and I was usually
twice the
age of most of the people around me. I rarely ran into people my age or
older. I attribute that to the physical demands. There aren't that many
people over 30 who are in condition to even tackle the slopes, and those
older people who do try it do only a few runs. Kids have a lot more
energy
and can easily spend a whole day on the slopes.

Skiing is ageless. You can do it till you get your ticket punched for
PerfectPowderParadise.

I'm sorry you have difficulty keeping up. Perhaps if you followed
Margaret's boyfriend? He's about 90 and slowing a bit - mostly stays on
the groomed these days which should help you as well. Many of the
geezers around here would wipe the slope with you, on and off piste.
Some of the geezers would wipe the slope with me. (And for some other
folk, I AM the geezer wiping their slope. grin)

BTW, if we wish to continue, this discussion should be moved to
rec.skiing.alpine; it doesn't belong in the resorts groups.

Hello,
Eastern geezer here...

I keep running into a group of mid-week skiers at Pico (one
of our local mountains). The seem pretty good and I tend to
hook up with people who ski well. I hooked up with LAL when
I was in the Tahoe area. Good skier, pretty much tireless until
he has his first Urqel.

He wipes up my slope in Sierra Cement. I kind of suspect I'd
wipe his on EasternFirm(tm). I'd like the opportunity to try.
He has the invitation but he seldom gets further east than
Salt Lake.

Anyway back to the Pico group. They all dress in the usual way.
Helmets, goggles, neck gaiters, etc. You can't see much of
their faces. The first time I hooked up, we had a grand old
time. Good conversation and good skiing. Then someone clued
me in as to who they were. Each and every one of the group
has at least 20 years on me and I'm 63.

Now, Dave,
take a few lessons and get out there and ski.

Next go-around we should snip RSRNA and RTUC and leave
it only in RSA.

VtSkier