Old December 30th 03, 08:52 PM
Chris Cline

Default Salomon 9 vs Carbon

--0-1634447870-1072820565=:95490

Hi Griss-
Simplest solution: try the boots on, and ideally, demo them on snow. There are weight and (maybe) some perfomance differences between the Sal. 9's and the carbons, but the biggest difference is FIT. I don't have intimate experience with the classic boots, but all I can say about the carbon skate boots is: "At last I have ski boots that fit my foot!" (after 5 years of padding and propping up my feet in the "Bumblebee" pilot boots) I may be making an assumption about the classic boots, but I think that there is a difference in the last between the Salomon 9 Classic and the Carbon Classics consistent with the difference in the skate boots.

As to whether to cast farther afield (e.g., Sportfuls, maybe ditching the whole SNS system and going to NNN, etc): try the boots on!! My possibly ill-formed impression is that the Salomon Carbons have a more similar fit to the Rossi boots, but there may still be differences.

Did I forget to urge you to try the boots on?
;- )
Chris Cline
SLC, UT

Griss wrote:
OK, I'm in the market for new striding/classic boots. The boots I have were
top of the line about 10 years ago. I ski about 75 times per year, about
1/3 of that striding. I race only a few times per year and am middle of the
pack in the 50+ age category.

I understand and fully agree with the principle that fit is the most
important thing.

I currently am on the Salomon system so am looking at the 9 (yellow) and
carbon (grey). Other than $100, what is the difference? Obviously the
Carbon's are lighter, but how much? Are there any other characteristics
that are significant (e.g. ease of use, flex, overall support). As I said,
I do race a *little*, but mainly like a "performance" boot just because I
like the feel and function of good equipment. Since I ski a *lot* and
really only buy new equipment when I need it (every 10 years or so), I am
not adverse to spending the extra $100, but not if it is something that
really doesn't suit me. Comfort is important, for example, and it kind of
looks like the Carbon might be less comfortable and more difficult to use.

As a related question, I see that the current yellow and black 9's are
colored opposite to what they were before the carbon came out. (e.g.
whatever parts used to be yellow are now black and vice versa). Other than
that, I can't see any difference between the new 9s and the 9s of two years
ago - is there any difference other than switching the black and yellow in
the color?

Another boot that I've seen on the Salomon system is the Sportful. They look
like decent boots but are quite a bit cheaper. I can't do side by side
comparisons w/ Salomon, and can't find info on weights for any of these
boots. Any experience with these?

Finally, I might just take the plunge and switch systems. Are there any
relative advantages to the top of the line Alpina or Rossignol (the only
others available locally). Here, both of these boots are significantly
(~$50) cheaper than even the Salomon 9's - and of course closer to $150
cheaper than the Carbons. One observation I've made is that the Salomon
9's, while no longer the "top of the line" for Salomon - are still at the
quality and features level, or even above, of the "top of the line" in
Alpina and Rossy - is this true?

Thanks for your help.

Grizzy

--0-1634447870-1072820565=:95490

DIVHi Griss-/DIV
DIVSimplest solution:  try the boots on, and ideally, demo them on snow.  There are weight and (maybe) some perfomance differences between the Sal. 9's and the carbons, but the biggest difference is FIT.  I don't have intimate experience with the classic boots, but all I can say about the carbon skate boots is: "At last I have ski boots that fit my foot!" (after 5 years of padding and propping up my feet in the "Bumblebee" pilot boots)  I may be making an assumption about the classic boots, but I think that there is a difference in the last between the Salomon 9 Classic and the Carbon Classics consistent with the difference in the skate boots./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVAs to whether to cast farther afield (e.g., Sportfuls, maybe ditching the whole SNS system and going to NNN, etc):  try the boots on!!  My possibly ill-formed impression is that the Salomon Carbons have a more similar fit to the Rossi boots, but there may still be differences./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVDid I forget to urge you to try the boots on? /DIV
DIV;- )/DIV
DIVChris Cline/DIV
DIVSLC, UTBRBRBIGriss >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"OK, I'm in the market for new striding/classic boots. The boots I have wereBRtop of the line about 10 years ago. I ski about 75 times per year, aboutBR1/3 of that striding. I race only a few times per year and am middle of theBRpack in the 50+ age category.BRBRI understand and fully agree with the principle that fit is the mostBRimportant thing.BRBRI currently am on the Salomon system so am looking at the 9 (yellow) andBRcarbon (grey). Other than $100, what is the difference? Obviously theBRCarbon's are lighter, but how much? Are there any other characteristicsBRthat are significant (e.g. ease of use, flex, overall support). As I said,BRI do race a *little*, but mainly like a "performance" boot just because IBRlike the feel and function of good equipment. Since I ski a *lot* andBRreally only buy new equipment when I need it (every 10 years or so), I
amBRnot adverse to spending the extra $100, but not if it is something thatBRreally doesn't suit me. Comfort is important, for example, and it kind ofBRlooks like the Carbon might be less comfortable and more difficult to use.BRBRAs a related question, I see that the current yellow and black 9's areBRcolored opposite to what they were before the carbon came out. (e.g.BRwhatever parts used to be yellow are now black and vice versa). Other thanBRthat, I can't see any difference between the new 9s and the 9s of two yearsBRago - is there any difference other than switching the black and yellow inBRthe color?BRBRAnother boot that I've seen on the Salomon system is the Sportful. They lookBRlike decent boots but are quite a bit cheaper. I can't do side by sideBRcomparisons w/ Salomon, and can't find info on weights for any of theseBRboots. Any experience with these?BRBRFinally, I might just take the plunge and switch systems. Are there anyBRrela!
tive
advantages to the top of the line Alpina or Rossignol (the onlyBRothers available locally). Here, both of these boots are significantlyBR(~$50) cheaper than even the Salomon 9's - and of course closer to $150BRcheaper than the Carbons. One observation I've made is that the SalomonBR9's, while no longer the "top of the line" for Salomon - are still at theBRquality and features level, or even above, of the "top of the line" inBRAlpina and Rossy - is this true?BRBRThanks for your help.BRBRGrizzyBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBR /BLOCKQUOTEphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
a href="http://search.yahoo.com/top2003"Find out what made the Top Yahoo! Searches of 2003
/a
--0-1634447870-1072820565=:95490--