Old February 24th 05, 03:07 PM
lal_truckee

Jeff wrote:
We all know about single black and double black difficulty ratings.

You realize "double black" is a fairly new phenomena. I suppose it's
possible the first couple of areas to post a "double black" did so as a
genuine warning to skiers, but the rest of them jumped on the
advertising bandwagon - can't be the only area with just weenie single
black runs, now, can we?

Used to be skiers learned how to work their way down a mountain - trail
maps were guides - and how to mange untamed snow. Now with the Brutal
Grooming of everything in sight, skiers want a detail map of the
sidewalk in front of the ticket window.

IMO, mountains are already too cluttered with signage, and trail maps
contain too little of the mountain and too much about the manmade and
grooming.