Old February 16th 05, 02:53 PM
Ace

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:09:34 GMT, Mike Clark wrote:

snip

Her original pair had Mk I Diamir
bindings, but she too eventually bent the titanium bar. Her new skis
have Mk III bindings. The other thing I have seen break on Diamir
bindings is the toe piece so we usually carry a spare on long tours.

Hmmm. I've never broken anything on a binding - how does this happen,
direct impact or excessive twisting? Bending the bar, I'd have
thought, could only happen with the heel free, and even then I'd
expect the pivot to go first.

One reason I have now bought myself separate skis and boots for general
downhill is that I don't think the Fritcshi Diamir bindings are up to
taking a lot of heavy punishment if skiing aggressively, particularly in
icy bump fields. The Fritcshi Freeride bindings look more solid however,
but are heavier if you want to tour with them.

I was going to go for the Freeride, given that the vast majority of my
skiing is lift-served, but given the emergency nature I had to make do
with what was available in a small resort (Praz de Lys, nr les Gets)
and have the Diamir II. Seems sturdy enough, though.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)