Old April 26th 13, 10:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.skiing.nordic

Default Roll your own rollerskis

I doubt that a couple of meters will be workable. It will be very
long and bulky. Remember, this is ski boots with only a binding pin or
two for connection. You're talking nearly three times longer than the
existing classical rollerskis, two and a half for the longest (Marwe
combi with wire wheel extension). Even the old ones back in the 1980s
were not more than about half that, as I recall from photos. You're not
going to be skiing but walking, if you're lucky. Think this needs
serious rethinking.

As for materials, I don't think wheels, including ratcheted wheels and
bindings should be a problem getting. Use wood or an old ski section or
shape some metal. Check online for instructions, as I recall seeing
them somewhere. Perhaps one of the Jenex braking systems would work
for you, or it could be modified.

Gene

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 18:21:18 +0100 (BST)
wrote:

I would like to try rollerskiing, but absolutely cannot handle the
off-the-shelf ones. For various reasons, I need ones a couple of
metres long, with ratchet wheels on the front and a REAR braking
system operated by moving my calves. There doesn't seem to be
any easy way of getting components (affordably) to build my own.
I would probably use wood for the bearing member, or possibly
aluminium section - very light weight and elegance aren't needed.

Has anyone done this, or got any useful information?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.