Old November 29th 03, 02:43 AM
Hank Sniadoch

Default Advice? Mt. Bachelor, Mt. Baker, Big Sky or Aleyska? DEC.

Thanks Mike. Your link explained the law thoroughly.
"Mike T" wrote in message
Don't they require chains regardless of whether you have a 4x4 or

studs ?

Oregon's chain laws are explained he

http://www.tripcheck.com/winter/ChainLaws.htm

See the "exemptions" part - 4WD exempts you from chains under most
circumstances. I keep a pair of chains with me "just in case" but I've
never used them. (I do put them on in my driveway once at the
beginning of each season just make sure they're still OK, and that I
remember how to do it!) Actually, I was caught in one of those
"conditional roads closures" mentioned at the above link, and simply
used 4WD low. It was blowing too hard to be able to chain up. I made
it out without incident, albeit very, very slowly.

Mike T