Old November 28th 03, 05:04 AM
Hank Sniadoch

Default Advice? Mt. Bachelor, Mt. Baker, Big Sky or Aleyska? DEC.

Don't they require chains regardless of whether you have a 4x4 or studs ?
"Mike T" wrote in message
DRIVING DISTANCE (distance/time to and from airports/resorts)

BACHELOR MEADOWS TIMBERLINE HOOD
PDX 159m 3.5h 67.5m 1.4h 62m 1.5h 52m 1.3h
BACH X 125m 2h 111m 2.5h 111m 2.5h
MEADOW 125m 2h X 40m 1h 40m 1h
TIMBER 111m 2.5h 40m 1h X close
HOOD 111m 2.5h 40m 1h close X

PDX- Gov't camp, you're right about on with 52 miles. Can be done in
just over an hour in good weather, no traffic; allow extra time for
weather, and traffic if on a weekend.

PDX - bachelor... the 3.5 hours would get to you Bend (no stops), but
it's another 20 miles from Bend to Bachelor.

Going from PDX to Timberline, Bachelor, or Meadows takes you through
gov't camp... as does Timberline-Meadows.

Timberline-Ski Bowl/Gov't Camp = 6 miles, 10 minutes + weather and
traffic
Meadows-Ski Bowl/ Gov't Camp = 10 miles, 12 minutes + weather and
traffic
Timberline-Meadows - add up the above 2.

Meadows is 35 miles / 40 minutes from Hood River which is 65 miles / 65
mins from PDX. The shortest way to Meadows from PDX gores through
Gov't camp, *not* Hood River.

You should definitely be able to hit 'em all on one trip, no problems at
all.

They do *not* plow the roads down to the pavement here. If you hit it
at the right time, when its cold and snowy, there will be snow on the
roads round the clock. You'll want chains, studs, 4x4, or a
combination. I have a Durango w/ full time 4WD (and part time, and low)
with studs on all four tires, and I've been really glad I;ve had oall
that on several occasions.

Of course if it's warm the snow will melt off the roads every afternoon.

Mike T