Old March 31st 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mike[_2_]

Default Resort Reviews...

"Roger Moss" wrote in message
r...

"BrritSki" wrote in message
On 30/03/2011 16:35, Roger Moss wrote:
Anyone home...?

Yep...

Despite a patchy (I use the word advisedly...) season, we managed around
a month's solid skiing time, mostly in the French Alps.

Well we went to Mayrhofen at Feb half term, staying in Ramsau which is a
smallish village 10 min bus ride to Horberg lift. First time at Mayrhofen
and found it very busy, seems very popular with Dutch and the runs are quite
narrow and short so hard to relax as had to watch out for what were mainly
intermediate level eager skiers.

Found the restaurants better than expected - self service but many had charm
and if ate late, were reasonably accessible. Snow cover was good if a little
badly prepared. Not sure about off-piste, as didn't know area and didn't
seem accessible nor inviting. Crowds were bad and lifts at top of
Horbergbahn were bad, easily 30 minutes in morning rush. Access to area in
morning must be dreadful in Mayrhofen, at Horberg worst queue was about 20
minutes, but then 20 minute gondala ride.

Snowed a bit and poor vis for half the time. Skied 1 day in Zell am Ziller,
which was good, less busy and some very enjoyable runs but perhaps good for
a day only. Mayrhofen was more extensive and OK for the rest of the time.

Bus system sucked as buses only every half hour and stopped at 10 am,
restarted at 15:20 to 17:20 but in fairness were never packed (and were
free).

So overall, busy resort, limited skiing but probably fine at less popular
times. Booked late(ish) with Thompson Ski and thought prices were very
reasonable certainly compared to French resorts at same time. Flights from
Newcastle were good, on time, and found resort not too expensive.

Won't be going back, but don't be totally put off. So where next year? Where
to at half term, with large area and no brits, dutch?

Mike