Old December 16th 03, 08:19 PM
Chris Cline

Default what was 'the New Skate' ?

--0-1413041232-1071595423=:14738

Based on what I noticed while teaching a ski clinic last night, I agree with the "compromise" position. My one concern about the "new skate" with newer/"weaker"/ less accomplished skiers, is the emphasis on cadence. I think it would be easy for a less technically proficient skiier to have a fast cadence, but always be _between their skis_, rather than rapidly transferring their weight from ski to ski.

I thought that Ken's outline was really great, and I plan on using it for a sort of "checklist" to teach by. However, for people just learning to skate, I think that it's a good idea to have them "slow down the motion" and ski slow and pretty (i.e., correct technique) rather than fast and choppy.

However, once you've got good weight transfer, I don't think that we should reserve the New Skate just for the "elite skiiers"-- for us ordinary mortals, I think that it would be good to try to achieve the more rapid turnover and faster glide that a higher cadence allows. As long as we try to keep the technique clean as we do that-- not getting into "windmill" mode!

Chris C.
SLC

Jeff Potter wrote:
Ken Roberts wrote:

[ ] and I see former
opponent Borowski joining forces with Vordenberg in new magazine articles.

It looks like Lee created a truce by saying that aspects of the old
'ride'n'glide' work better for weaker citizen skiers and that we mortals can't
use all the benefits of the elite new skate. In other words, Lee says he agrees
with Pete but only for elite skiers and that weaker skiers will bail out more
often into the old ride'n'glide. ??

[ ] I kept hoping the ideas
will get published in a book that everyone can read and discuss, but I still
haven't see it yet.

Is there a hot book out there? I have the oddly-shaped Ski Skating that seems
pretty good. Is it Old or New Skate? : )

[ ]
_____________________________________
The New Skate
-- ideas from Vordenberg's 2000-2001 articles

(A) Legs -- use both of them equally

Set them down in a 'ready to power' position, not too far under body.

Feet seem to have a smooth, continuous, 'swimming' style. Dynamic--no harsh
shove but also less rest-spots.

Heel-Power! Kick the powering foot down and FORWARD to keep heel down as long
as possible when powering. --As per speedskating.

(C) Quiet Upper Body

Hands/arms work more in a 'flicky' way---less huge commitment and total
followthru. Max the sweetspot and bail on the rest.

[ ]
(2) No dipping or twisting or rotating -- never ever.

I recall Lee saying that weaker skiers will twist as well as glide more. Also
that personal style brings aspects of Old Skate into play even with WC skiers.

--

Jeff Potter
****

--0-1413041232-1071595423=:14738

DIVBased on what I noticed while teaching a ski clinic last night, I agree with the "compromise" position.  My one concern about the "new skate" with newer/"weaker"/ less accomplished skiers, is the emphasis on cadence.  I think it would be easy for a less technically proficient skiier to have a fast cadence, but always be _between their skis_, rather than rapidly transferring their weight from ski to ski.  /DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVI thought that Ken's outline was really great, and I plan on using it for a sort of "checklist" to teach by.  However, for people just learning to skate, I think that it's a good idea to have them "slow down the motion" and ski slow and pretty (i.e., correct technique) rather than fast and choppy./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVHowever, once you've got good weight transfer, I don't think that we should reserve the New Skate just for the "elite skiiers"-- for us ordinary mortals, I think that it would be good to try to achieve the more rapid turnover and faster glide that a higher cadence allows.  As long as we try to keep the technique clean as we do that-- not getting into "windmill" mode!/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVChris C./DIV
DIVSLCBRBRBIJeff Potter >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"Ken Roberts wrote:BRBR> [ ] and I see formerBR> opponent Borowski joining forces with Vordenberg in new magazine articles.BRBRIt looks like Lee created a truce by saying that aspects of the oldBR'ride'n'glide' work better for weaker citizen skiers and that we mortals can'tBRuse all the benefits of the elite new skate. In other words, Lee says he agreesBRwith Pete but only for elite skiers and that weaker skiers will bail out moreBRoften into the old ride'n'glide. ??BRBR> [ ] I kept hoping the ideasBR> will get published in a book that everyone can read and discuss, but I stillBR> haven't see it yet.BRBRIs there a hot book out there? I have the oddly-shaped Ski Skating that seemsBRpretty good. Is it Old or New Skate? : )BRBR> [ ]BR> _____________________________________BR> The New SkateBR> -- ideas from Vorde!
nberg's
2000-2001 articlesBR>BR> (A) Legs -- use both of them equallyBRBRSet them down in a 'ready to power' position, not too far under body.BRBRFeet seem to have a smooth, continuous, 'swimming' style. Dynamic--no harshBRshove but also less rest-spots.BRBRHeel-Power! Kick the powering foot down and FORWARD to keep heel down as longBRas possible when powering. --As per speedskating.BRBR> (C) Quiet Upper BodyBRBRHands/arms work more in a 'flicky' way---less huge commitment and totalBRfollowthru. Max the sweetspot and bail on the rest.BRBR> [ ]BR> (2) No dipping or twisting or rotating -- never ever.BRBRI recall Lee saying that weaker skiers will twist as well as glide more. AlsoBRthat personal style brings aspects of Old Skate into play even with WC skiers.BRBR--BRBRJeff PotterBR****BR*Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.comBRpublisher of outdoor/indoor do-it-yourself culture...BR...offering "small !
world"
views on bikes, bows, books, movies...BR...rare books on ski, bike, boat culture, plus a Gulf Coast thrillerBRabout smalltown smuggling ... radical novels coming up!BR...original downloadable music ... and articles galore!BRplus national travel forums! HOLY SMOKES! 800-763-6923BRBRBRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTEphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
a href="http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21260/*http://photos.yahoo.com"New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing/a
--0-1413041232-1071595423=:14738--