Old December 16th 03, 06:37 AM
Janne G

Default what was 'the New Skate' ?

Ken Roberts wrote:

I gained a lot from "the New Skate" ideas when I was first learning to
skate, both from a camp and coaching on rollerskis and from Pete
Vordenberg's articles in The Master Skier magazine (www.masterskier.com).
Now three years later I'm saying these ideas taught with rigor by different
American instructors I've met in different regions, and I see former
opponent Borowski joining forces with Vordenberg in new magazine articles.

The only thing new in skating over the years that i have seen is the development
of (V2, 3 gear, double dance) skating tech to be the dominant tech and by that
forcing the upper body to be more stable (quiet?) to do this high tempo arm
swing with the poles. This stable upper body posture also spills over to other
techs like classic kick pole just because of the development of more muscles
in this area and it would be a waste to not use it when you got it.

I don't think that the tempo has gone up as much as some of us think, we are
just fooled by the high tempo armswing due to the larger use of V2 nowdays.
Take look at videos from older races and compare it to now, i can't se any real
diff in tempo on racers that are of the same size, and this is important,
you can't compare athletes of diffrent size because they move diffrent just
because of theire size and that's not what we are discussing here.

--

Forward in all directions

Janne G