Old January 17th 04, 07:09 PM

In article . net,
Varanasi Benares wrote:

All the above is much easier with the aid of a good bootfitter (I'm
tempted to say impossible for the newbie, without the aid of a good
bootfitter.)

I know that this is the standard advice, and I don't intend to disagree
with it. (I have a quibble below.) My problem is that it never works
for me because the fit of new boots and the fit of boots used 10 and 20
times is so different.

I simply don't buy enough boots (and will never buy enough boots) to
know just how tight boots should feel in the store. Bootfitters, even
experienced ones, aren't very helpful on this point. They naturally
need to ask things like: "Does it feel tight enough?" or "Is it snug
around the ankle?" I have to answer - assuming the boot is in the ball
park, "I guess so." I can also say things like "It's tighter than the
last one" but I can't really tell if the boot is tight enough that once
it packs out, it will fit.

[snip]

Here's my quibble with lal's advice: nearly everyone who sells boots
thinks they are good bootfitters. Most shop employees in most shops are
new. They have taken a training program - maybe - and done fittings for
a couple months. Those who have been around for awhile seem either
jaded or they own the place. They can usually ski in anything and have
used dozens of boots. Naturally, they are a bit impatient with people
like me who can't tell if the boots are too tight and are very concerned
about getting things just right before shelling out a bundle of money.
They also know that the truth is that the boots will fit very
differently in a month. (I suppose this also varies by manufacturer and
year.

I should add that I have "good feet." They are perhaps a bit unusual in
shape, but I never find myself in pain because of footwear or ski boots.

_ You have never been to a "real" bootfitter. They are very rare
to find and you will never find one further than about a 10
minute drive from a ski resort. Most ski towns have one, ask the
locals. It's not easy, but it's well worth it if you're having
problems. Lal is lucky, he lives close to Cosmo's[1].

_ A real bootfitter will spend the time with you to get it right
and not ask the stupid questions above. The questions asked will
be specific and useful. A real bootfitter wants to see you again
in a month to check the fit. He'll tell you exactly how the liner
will pack out based on the manufacturer. It's like night and day
from the typical boot buying experience.

_ Booker C. Bense

[1]- Cosmo's custom bootwerks. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED if you're in
the Lake Tahoe area.