Old December 17th 03, 08:00 PM
Ken Roberts

Default What I (think I) learned about kick waxing this weekend

It surprised me to find out where the kick-grip zone was on my classic
striding skis.

Chris Cline wrote
your kick zone is centered under your FOOT,
not your BINDING (which is actually a little forward of your toe).

On any pair of classic skis I've checked, the kick zone is centered with
neither the foot nor the binding. The double-camber "wax pocket" for kick
grip is centered somewhere around like the toe-bar of the binding.

So more than half of the grip-wax zone is in _front_ of my toe. This
contradicted my understanding, since like Chris, I had the not unreasonable
expectation that it was centered under my foot.

Where the grip-wax zone is has big implications for waxing. Any serious
classic skier should find out where the actual wax pocket really is on each
of their skis, and mark the two ends with waterproof ink. One possible
procedure for doing that is on the web at:
http://roberts-1.com/xcski/classic/secrets/fit
I'd be glad to hear about other written wax-pocket-measuring or detailed
ski-fitting procedures on the web.

Knowing the actual location of the wax pocket is also important for striding
technique. Because it makes a big difference whether I focus my pressure on
the center of the grip wax zone, versus the rear of that zone. Definitely
worth experimenting with.

Ken