Old March 17th 09, 01:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

Default Why only ski Europe?

MoonMan wrote:
john elgy wrote:

MoonMan wrote:

Dymphna wrote:

The Alps are small compared to the Rockies.

But the resorts are so much smaller in the rockies! I'm just back
from "the biggest resort in the Rockies", Lake Louise and it has 10
lifts, how many lifts has Tigne for example got?

Lake Louise is indeed a tiny resort, but Whistler, (which IIRC is also
in the Rockies) is much larger and would consitute a mid sized resort,
such as Les Sept Laux, in Europe.

When I visited Lake Louise only 7 lifts were actually running. So you
did 43% better than me! If it did not have one of the most impressive
hotels in the world no one would have heard of Lake Louise.

As the other posters have pointed out teh number of runs mentioned at
Candadian resorts is a bit of a joke. To me it appears that if you are
skiing down a run and there is a tree in the middle of the piste then
the parts to the left and right will have different names and signage.

But it is different and it is fun - and you get plenty of time to read
on the bus.

John

Apparently Lake Louise is technicaly bigger than Whistler (According to RCR,
Lake Louise's operating company) the theory is that Lake Louise is one
resort whereas Whistler (Which is almost twice as big) is actually two
resorts, Whistler and Blackcomb each of which are smaller than Lake Louise.

We decided, once we had walked across the lake and looked back, that from a
distance the Château looks more like a prison than a hotel.

You clearly go to a better class of prison than me

Oh, and a warning, if you stay in Lake Louise, transfers to Sunshine are
only available on Sundays and Thursdays and Transfers to Norquay are only
available on Tuesdays and then only if you book at least two days in
advance.