Old January 22nd 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic,rec.backcountry,rec.skiing.backcountry
BGhouse

Default Sledge, Pulk?

mccannam sed:

On Jan 20, 9:15*pm, BGhouse wrote:
mccannam sed:

Has anyone built a sledge or pulk for towing your gear while xc
skiing?

Just putting the fitting touches on a pulk I'll be using during a Ski
Patrol Mountain Travel and Rescue course. *Here's my write-up on it:

http://webpages.charter.net/bghouse/SkiPulk/

Doesn't address your tracked trail requirement.

Thanks BG, that's useful site for building a pulk, I wish I would have
seen it sooner. I'm using the 7' pvc pipes for my person to sled
connection. I figure if it gets too cold I'm not going, but if I'm out
there and then it gets cold....

It seems a whole lot of folk use PVC without a problem ... Maybe carry
a simple repair kit with some kind of sleeve that could be
glued/taped/clamped over a break. OTOH, I plan to use a tow line as a
back-up to the tracers.

Funny thing, the Erapro sled is made about 20 minutes from my house
yet I only found out about from you.

Ain't that the way it is. I spent considerable time looking for a local
source, then ended up ordering it from REI.

I'm going to add some suspenders to my waist belt as I discovered that
there is a significant downward pull on the belt that had me hiking it
up every once in a while.

I've heard of that. One solution I heard was to attach it to a day
pack. I'll keep that in mind during sea-trails!

Good luck.

--
BG - W Michigan