Old November 3rd 03, 04:37 PM
lal_truckee

pigo wrote:

"lal truckee" wrote in message

Commercial ski socks are a crock: ski socks should be wicking

(polyprop

or similar, relatively thin, high rising (so there's no edge or

wrinkles

inside the boot cuff) and snug. Commercial ski socks are too thick and
often have wool in them. Wrong. Don't expect to pad out a sloppy boot
with thick or multiple socks - it won't work; insist on a good fitting

boot.

Are you confusing "outdoor" socks with ski socks?

Nope. I consider ALL the socks I've looked at that were labeled "Ski
Socks" to be too thick (and I do look at them occasionally.) I use
polypro "liner" socks. I can't get into my boot wearing a thicker sock -
the fit is too tweeked. I only use the liner sock at all to allow my
foot to slip into the boot; otherwise, barefoot would be the way to go.
IMO you don't want any cloth in the boot with you - cloth compresses,
and makes for a sloppy fit. Padded socks make the already sloppy boot
fit (otherwise you couldn't get the sock in there at all) even sloppier.
Not good. Avoid.

And, as someone pointed out - padded socks make the foot colder[1],
contrairy to the expectations of beginners, so it's important to mention
socks when advising inexperienced skiers.

IMO ski socks are a whole industry based on a false premises. Sort of
like rear entry boots were.

[1] because the sock will shift and compress the blood vessels,
particularly on top of the foot, reducing circulation and causing pain,
strain, and coldness. Once that thick sock is inside a boot, there's no
way to constrain where it goes, so compressions are inevitable.