Old March 2nd 05, 09:14 PM
Walt

On 3/1/2005 3:35 PM, David Spencer wrote:
"paulk" writes:

I am arriving to SLC in March and I will have 6 days for skiing from
March 14. I want to maximize my powder time; don't need any afterski.
Where would you recommend to stay and to ski?

You are describing Alta to a "T".

Alta is elemental. There is nothing at Alta other than skiing, eating
and sleeping.

There is no afterski at Alta. None whatsoever.

There is no place to have a nice beer or drink and relax to talk?

It's not quite as stark as David paints it.

They serve beer for about an hour after the lifts close at the Albion
base. You can get a pitcher and sit on the deck and watch the sun go
down. Quite nice, actually. The "crowd" is usually pretty low key.

There are a couple of restaurants, the overnight lodges have some common
areas for the guests, and I think there might even be a bar at the
Goldminer's restaurant. But you won't find the screaming ski ninnies
dancing on the tables, etc. - there is no party scene. Most people who
ski Alta get in their cars and drive home when the lifts close.

Regarding Snowbird - don't buy the Alta/Bird combo pass, just buy a
regular pass to Snowbird and spend the whole day there. There is plenty
to keep you occupied at either resort for several days, and the combo
ticket would be a waste of money. And on the subject of wasting money
at Snowbird, the tram ticket is widely considered to be not worth the
extra cost either.

Good luck. Have fun.

--
//-Walt