Old December 13th 07, 10:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

Default Toxic Ski and snowboard wax polluting groundwater???

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 01:02:15 -0800, Alun Evans
wrote:

Yes, I would have to agree with you Rob. Ski wax is one of the last
pollutants we need to worry about.

So as it happens I was riding down in the Heavenly (Lake Tahoe)
gondola with a veteran ski instructor on Sunday.

She was talking about the changes since Vail resorts took over, one of
the biggest being their environmental conservation policies.

Apparently they built large water cleaning facilities that collect the
snow melt run-off from the mountain and they purify it before it flows
to the Lake. The reason being the debris / rubbish, random fluids from
snow-cats / chair lifts, and yes, wax from skis / boards.

In many places the largest single pollutant in ski-area runoff is the
chemicals added to the water for use in snow cannons. Any green policy
should start looking at this, then air pollution from old
diesel-operated lifts, way ahead of the effects of ski wax. I'd have
thought.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)