Old October 25th 04, 06:41 PM
AH

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
AH wrote:
Hi all..

I am going to be skiing at Alta/Snowbird on the 6th and 7th of December,
then driving on the 8th to Heavenly and skiing there for 2 days... Map
point says that it will take about 9 hours, which is fine..

Pap Point is wrong. I figure 10 hours to Truckee when I make the run -
Heavenly is farther. It's a long drive, but doable in a day, but you will
want to make a couple of walk-around stops.

However, what I didn't realise is that this motorway is pretty "high"
(asl) and it seems to snow there.. my question is, how likely is the
highway to be closed, and if it does snow and stay open, how much will
this affect my journey?

Maybe from Carson City to South Shore (Heavenly) you will see snow and
chain control - if it's in the forcast stop off in Reno for cheap chains -
every corner store in town sales chains - expect to pay $25-$30. But by
then you'll know if you need chains, so you will likely save the cost by
not getting them. I've seen only flurries coming accross Nevada; neve
needed chains. Since it's a long way and all pretty much the same
exposure, so if chains were required accross Nevada it'd probably be for
200+ miles; you don't want to do that: hole up in a motel and wait a day -
it'll melt.

Also, I'm hiring a car in LA (we're doing a 3 week trip going out as far
as SLC) and I need to get some snow chains. Just need them to last three
weeks.. anyone got a suggestion about where to buy some cheap ones?

Man, more than 10 hours.. thats going to kill me.. gonna have a 6am start
then I guess.. can't waste an extra day, otherwise that will be one less day
on the slopes..