Old October 25th 04, 05:34 PM
Dmitry

"lal_truckee" wrote

What is the deal with chains? I'm from Australia, but live in London, and as it rarely snows in both places, I have never really
driven in snow..

At what point should you put them on? If there is 2 inches of snow on the ground is it really necessary to fit them at that
point?

The Highway people will tell you - they will set chain required signs. Generally on the highway The Highway people are accurate
about need, so don't put on chains until you see the chains required sign. Ignore the doofusses who will be putting chains on
ahead of need - they will end up driving miles on pavement and ruining their chains.

The only car accident that I've been in was when I didn't have chains
and drove off the parking lot at Kirkland (or was it Squaw?) to
find out that the road consists of a layer of ice coverd by one inch
of snow. Rear-ended my friend who was in front of me, lost control
of his car and hit a snow pile, blocking the road for me. I couldn't
even steer into the snow pile, stopping was out of question.