Old February 28th 06, 01:44 PM

Am Dienstag, den 28.02.2006, 14:25 +0000 schrieb Champ:

I'd never heard the expression "out of bounds" before I visited a US
mountain. I don't think it really has much meaning in Europe. With
the exception of areas protected for environmental reasons, you can
pretty much go where you want. Of course, you might die there, but
that's your problem.

I was really shocked when on my first visit to the US (Lake Tahoe) I
saw a rope with a notice about whatever bit of the penal code I'd be
breaking if I ducked under it.

In the Alps (and Scandinavia as well) the freedom to go everywhere it is
due to the allmend rights (allman rights). The terrain (the mountains)
do not belong to a juridical person (a single person, a company or
whatelse) but to the comunity. So you cannot obstacle the persons to go
there. (Some exceptions for Italy and Austria).

That's even the case if, let's say, a lift company closes the runs for
avalange danger etc. People can pass there anyway - but as you say
correctly - on their own risk.

Generally, i do not think there is so much difference between
backcountry in USA and Canada and the Alps on the other hand (we call it
ski randonnee or, in Sweden or Norway fjelltelemarking). But, i think,
the Alps have a closer infrastructure of huts, cabane ecc. And an
excellent and close emergency support.

As for the mortal accidents in avalanches, i don't think there's so much
difference between the Alps and Northamerica - at least not if you put
the accidents in comparison to the people doing ski randonnee ...

Greetings,

Ulrich