Old December 5th 05, 01:20 PM

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
news:SVXkf.4679$6Z5.2616@trndny02...

foot2foot wrote:

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
news:TqXkf.3660$Yh2.1288@trndny01...

foot2foot wrote:

Waterproof breathable "coatings" are useless.

If you're talking about the DWR coating that's placed on Gore-tex
outerwear, you're wrong.

I'm not wrong.

From "REI expert advice".

The "expert advice" explains in detail the usefulness of the DWR coating.
So, I repeat: if you're calling the DWR coating useless, you're wrong.

I've got a lot of experience with DWR-coated clothing, using it not only
for skiing but also for whitewater kayaking, where you _really_ notice the
difference (the evaporative cooling that the REI "expert advice" speaks
of). Water doesn't seep through a drytop with the DWR coating worn off,
but you definitely notice a difference in heat loss.

Glad to see you're awake. The actual point of the discussion was, can a
coating alone do the same job that a waterproof breathable membrane can do,
coating added or not. The answer is no. You've missed the context and point
of the whole discussion.

If you want to stay dry, you need a gore tex style membrane, not just a
coating the makers claim is water proof /breathable. It's not.