Old December 5th 05, 05:55 AM

"Sven Golly" wrote in message

"foot2foot" wrote in news:11p7iaaoc4dlo30
@corp.supernews.com:

But you *need* waterproof/breathable *membranes*

Waterproof breathable "coatings" are useless.

Not true. The term membrane is also wrong in this context since coatings
and laminates (the word I think you meant) are both membranes.

No I didn't mean laminate. I meant membrane. A coating is a
coating. You spray it on.

Membrane. White thing. Kinda layer sorta. You can actually see it
in there. Call it a laminate if you want. It's a membrane similarly to
a "semi permeable membrane". Osmosis. Same kinda thing. It
passes some things and not others. Or, in one direction, not another.
Same kinda thing. Membrane.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat or make clothing
waterproof/breathable. Some of the really high tech coatings do just as
well as Gore-Tex (a laminate).

Not to my experience. "Coatings" are B.S. Membranes are
the stuff.

There are also a lot of bad coatings that mostly turn a good piece of
nylon into a sauna.

You also have to add construction, ventilation, liners and all sorts of
other things into the picture.

Nah, you just need a shell. You can layer up or down
underneath it. You need the waterproof breathable
membrane tho. You get warm, unzip it a bit. You get cold,
zip up, or add layers. The membrane passes water as a
vapor, but not as a liquid.

Regardless. It doesn't make any difference to this poster
and his/her question.

We're not talking Mt. Everest death zone here.
We're talking Aspen or something.

Sven, you always want to make things that
are simple so complicated.

How's that for a "you" message?