Old July 17th 17, 07:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default Norway or Chile?

On 7/17/2017 2:16 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 07/16/2017 06:54 PM, Jay Pique wrote:
So I'm thinking of an extended trip to one or the other. I've heard
good things about Portillo, but I've always had a dream of spending
time in Norway. Thoughts either way?

Why not both? It's not like there's a skiing conflict.

I was in Norway in May and stopped in Geilo, one of the larger Norwegian
resorts, for lunch. If it were an eight of so hour drive from here I'd
go for sure, but it looked a bit on the small side to justify flying
across the ocean.

After I got back I was talking to a friend about it and he had actually
skied in Geilo. He said it was a lot like Michigan skiing - not very
steep, not very long, not very crowded.

We drove past a couple of other ski areas on the way that were even
smaller. Fine for a day trip if you're already there.

There's also year-round skiing on a glacier near Bergen - a bus leaves
in the morning to take you up there and gear is included. The thought
of rental boots and a T-bar (only one lift) persuaded me to hang by the
fjord.

--
//Walt