Old December 9th 14, 05:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Henriksen

Default Training polarization (Stephen Seiler)

Den 09.12.2014 17:44, skrev :
On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 16:49:02 +0100
Terje Henriksen wrote:

To estimate your max heartrate, the most common rule is to use (220 -
your age). I had a max heart rate at 210 one time at the age of 21.
When I was 55, I couldn't get above 155.

Do you know the story behind that? See below. Like 98.6F as normal
body temperature, which Carl Reinhold August Wunderlich came up with in
the 1800s, although he had a sample of 25,000, the max HR formula
still lasts as popular lore.
--------

From a NYT article in 2001:
"The common formula was devised in 1970 by Dr. William Haskell, then a
young physician in the federal Public Health Service and his mentor,
Dr. Samuel Fox, who led the service's program on heart disease. They
were trying to determine how strenuously heart disease patients could
exercise.

In preparation for a medical meeting , Dr. Haskell culled data from
about 10 published studies in which people of different ages had been
tested to find their maximum heart rates.

The subjects were never meant to be a representative sample of the
population, said Dr. Haskell, who is now a professor of medicine at
Stanford. Most were under 55 and some were smokers or had heart disease.

On an airplane traveling to the meeting, Dr. Haskell pulled out his
data and showed them to Dr. Fox. ''We drew a line through the points
and I said, 'Gee, if you extrapolate that out it looks like at age 20,
the heart rate maximum is 200 and at age 40 it's 180 and at age 60 it's
160,'' Dr. Haskell said.

At that point, Dr. Fox suggested a formula: maximum heart rate equals
220 minus age."

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/24/he...hallenged.html

That rule has usually worked well for me up throught the years.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes