Old February 18th 06, 06:58 PM

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
Well, adding 5kg since the end of last winter bothers me, additional
strength or not. Up to two years ago my weight would just drop in
late summer. In any case, one's body and mind take some time to adjust
to the increased hours of exercise and output of x-c skiing. Also,
winter usually means more time indoors and less movement during the
course of the day. I find that in any season it takes a certain
threshold of hours before my appetite starts dropping. In winter, it
takes me frequent racing and/or pace workouts for the same effect.
You may be stronger, tho I doubt that much in terms of bulk muscles -
not the goal for skiers - but that additional weight has to be
carried up every hill.

Gene

wrote:

Hi,

At the end of November when I put my bike in the garage for the
winter I weighed 93kg. I have been skiing about 8-12 hours per week
(50/50 classic-skate) and which is at least 3-4 hours more on
average than I did on the bike. I also think my skiing is more
intense than the bike riding was (at least during the fall). I
haven't changed my diet in any way. My weight is now 103kg. I notice
that certain parts of my quads are much larger now, and my triceps
too, and I suspect other places too. Fat is hard to judge, but I
think it is pretty constant.

Is it common for skiing to encourage the development of bulk muscles?
I for some reason always assumed it would be slimming like running. I
certainly didn't expect to gain 10kg in 3 months! It dosen't bother
me, I am just curious about the development.

If you have no muscles you cannot carry anything. If you have many big
muscles you can carry more and kick harder.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes