Old March 17th 05, 12:04 AM
VtSkier

yunlong wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

yunlong wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:

yunlong wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:

yunlong wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:

yunlong wrote:

JHC Yunlong,
Haven't you learned a ___ thing?

No, I don't normally stuff myself with useless/impractical information.

Making up stuff here just doesn't cut it, and ragging on
someone because of your inability to make him understand
because of your use of words doesn't cut it either.

What you don't know does not invalidate what you don't know.

In a great and lengthy thread, I finally figured out what
you were trying to say with what you were calling a
particular type of "turn". I conceded that what you
were describing was a good and valuable addition to
a skier's "quiver" of turns available, and in fact that
it was a move I use fairly frequently myself, even though
I do it slightly differently from the way you described it.

Nonetheless, my description of it was accurate, and it is functional as
described?

No, your description, meaning the words you used was
NOT accurate and it was NOT clear, that' why it took
so long to arrive at what you were trying to say.

I talking about what you call a slip or slipped turn in
which you are increasing the radius of a turn by allowing
the tips of the skis to slip away from the direction of
the turn.

So my words take you long time to reflect, nevertheless, you rag on me
"inability to make [you] understand"?

Much discussion is required before I can figure our what
you are saying, reflection has nothing to do with it. I'm
asking you to explain yourself in words that I understand.
And, Yes, I'm still ragging on you for not using words in
the way they are understood by English speakers. It is
English, after all, that we are conversing in.

Now here you've gone and written something in such a way
that people may not understand because it's not common
usage and then tried to back it up with the fiction that
it IS common usage at Kirkwood.

I got my impression from a guy with a Kirkwood season pass, where do
you get your "common usage" of the term at Kirkwood?

If I heard from someone what you heard, my irony meter
would peg hard on the right side of the dial and I'd
laugh like hell at this guy talking about "slush powder".
I certainly wouldn't take him seriously and I would
doubt very much if he was altogether serious.

On top of that, you have ragged on Bob for failing to
see your meaning when it's your use of words that is
keeping him from seeing your meaning.

Maybe you guys should learn how to read words metaphorically, to
broaden you guys perception?

I understand metaphor in the context they are given.

It's simple really, you have invented an oxymoron by
virtue of the fact that most English speaker's sense of
powder is "fluffy" and slush is about as far from
fluffy as it's possible to get.

So you English speakers never use the term "'wet' powder"?

No.

I skied with LAL back at the end of February. On Monday
we had a foot of fresh snow.

Lucky you, it wasn't supposed to be there (by the earlier weather
reports).

We called it powder and
LAL later confirmed that the water content was about
8% which is within Bob's definition of "powder" being
between 2% and 10% water.

So what do you call those snows with water content of 12%?

Actually it was 12%, my mistake which LAL corrected me
on, and I would still call it powder. It was fluffy, at
least for the first time through it.

On the previous Saturday, LAL took me over onto the
sunny "backside" of the area. We found fairly new loose
snow, somewhat cut up, but not bad. With the sun hitting
it I would have guessed a water content of around 25%.
It was very hard for me to turn in because it was sticky.

Yup, that's maybe what the most sierra snow is right now; you need to
know how to flatten the boards--yes, flatboarding--to ski it.

Truly wet snow, or slush which is really mostly water
(I'd say upwards of 75%) is actually easier for me to
ski on than that sticky stuff. I actually like skiing
what we here in the east call "slush bumps".

But you think "slush bumps" is ok, but "slush powder" is oxymoron?

Slush powder is clearly oxymoronic or maybe just plain
moronic for the reasons I gave. It's an oxymoron in the
same way that "jumbo shrimp" and "military intelligence"
are oxymorons. The describe something with expressions
which are polar opposites. However, a bump can be made
with powder, ice or slush. Easily. It can even be ice
in the troughs and powder on the tops. That's the way
they were at Killington today. When the sun hits them
the can be made of wetter snow or soft sticky snow. When
the sun hits them for several days, it's 45 degrees and
they get rained on, the bumps are most certainly made of
slush.

Powder cannot be made of slush. That's what you are asking
me to accept.

Moronic!

Oxymoronic?

IS