Old September 2nd 03, 07:35 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2 Sep 2003 19:05:02 GMT, Walt penned:
"Monique Y. Herman" wrote:
On 2 Sep 2003 15:50:05 GMT, lal_truckee penned:
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

(I wonder if it should bother me, then, that there is no such thing as a
men's class CLIP)

There are "men's class" - they are marketed at Steep Clinics or Expert
Tuneups. Difference is, women who are so inclined are eligible to join a
"Steep Clinic" while men who would feel better in a supportive, lower
pressure learning environment are discouraged (maybe disallowed?) from
signing up for a "Women's Clinic."

See, they're not men's classes, and women will generally be seen in a
positive light if they join those classes (and belong there).

I know few men, on the other hand, who would feel comfortable enough in
their masculinity to sign up for a "kinder, gentler" lesson, even
without the deadly "women's" tag on it. And their buddies would harrass
them endlessly.

It's incredibly stupid, but I think it's true.

There's a bit more to it than that.

If a ski school really tried to host a men-only class they'd probably
find themselves facing a lawsuit or a picket/protest. At the very least
it would make for bad publicity.

Meanwhile, a resort can offer womens-only clinics and no one says boo.
The strict civil libertarian in me says that this is gender
discrimination. The pragmatist in me says that I've got more important
things to worry about than being shut out of an event that I have no
desire to attend anyway. The surrealist in me says "Go fish!"

See my comment about the whole situation being incredibly stupid =P

I agree with you. It's discrimination, but there are probably worse
issues to face.

Summer over yet?

*sigh* not quite yet, though the days are getting shorter and cooler.

--
monique