Old January 18th 05, 05:47 PM

Joe Hunt wrote:

I mean, how did the thief get up there (crappy old skis
maybe) and why bother? Wouldn't it be easier to steal them lower

down
or in the resort?

This happened to someone I was skiing with a couple of years ago. The
klepto turned out to be one of the hotel's staff - at the end of the
season someone found _loads_ of kit he'd nicked during the season.
Nicking skis at the top means (if they don't get caught red-handed)
they won't get caught at all.

However, this is a sad affair. The happened with my uncle when we

went to
Val d'Isere last February. We were at the restaurant at the top of

the
Solaise. When we went to report them stolen, it happened on a Friday,

the
police were very angry. Phrases such as "You rosbeefs are all zee

same,
last day of ski and you lose everyzing just for insurance" didn't go

down
too well.

I understand the police are going to do spot checks on British tourists
leaving the resorts to foil insurance scammers - being targeted and
with attitudes like ^^ this could be rather annoying!

TimP