Old October 18th 10, 05:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Bob F

Default No instructing for me this winter...

wrote:
I have a friend who retired 18+ years ago and went to Breckenridge,
worked winters teaching just enough to get a season pass and earn some
$$$. This year, he has decided to spend the $$ and buy a season pass
and forego instructing so he doesn't have to show up when the weather
is miserable. I am waiting to see how it works out, as he was always
a very enthusiatic instructor. He even tried to teach me, and I have
agreed to never tell any of his students that he taught me, as I was
well past the age of learning easily when I took up skiing. But I do
enjoy it, even if my style is something for the "never do it like
that" section of a lesson.

I taught my new girlfriend to ski last winter. She had never been on skis in her
life. After half a dozen days, she was skiing blues all over Steven Pass, and
doing good looking parallel turns. That was at 62 years old. There's an old
couple at Stevens, probably 10-20 years older than that who are snowboarders.
They couldn't have learned very young. I started snowboarding in my mid 50's,
and then taught it a number of years. Don't let age stop you - with the right
instruction, and being in reasonable shape, you should be able to love skiing.