Old January 4th 06, 09:35 AM

surf wrote:

Sounds like you really need a helmet ? My sis says skiiers don't need
helmets and didn't think snowboarders would. Are there many helmet
options such as a soft helmet that can be packed easier and is more
cushiony like a surfiing helmet for rocks ? Would a hard football type
helmet be best ?

I think all snowboarding helmets are the hard variety. I've never seen
soft ones. You don't really need one as a beginner. You only really need
one when you start going off-piste where there is a risk of rocks, or
when you start learning rails/jumps. Saying that, it won't do any harm
to get one if you don't mind spending the money.

Many people don't use them though, and I've heared some nasty stories
about injuries/deaths that could have been prevented if they'd been
wearing one.