Old January 8th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic,rec.travel.usa-canada
Bruce Jensen

Default Skiing Yellowstone

Edgar wrote:

There are better places to ski with respect to snow, but Yellowstone is
hard to beat re scenery and wildlife. We had difficulty conforming the
to the Park's wildlife separation distance rule when a couple of bisons
started running down the trail we skiing.

Edgar

Edgar - Congratulations on respecting the critters' and their buffers -
so few people do this at all.

The wildlife approach rules:

The rule is for humans to not approach within 75 feet of all non-ursine
animals and within 300 feet of bears. That does not mean that we must
run away when any of these animals wanders to within 75 / 300 feet of
you...just behave with reasonable dignity and intelligence, and we are
unlikely to have any conflicts.

If I were on a trail at an appropriate distance from bison, and they
began running *toward* me, I would get off the trail proper at an angle
away from the critters and let them pass. In winter, the rutting
season having passed, it is very unlikely that they are after *you,*
assuming you have left them a buffer.

Bruce Jensen