Old February 19th 05, 09:36 PM
Andy Sandford

"Mike T" wrote in message
news:_xyRd.42142$Dc.12921@trnddc06...
Partially because I wanted to try a new pair of bindings The first
thing is that the big circular footprint of the bindings really stiffen
up the flex of the board, which maybe be fine for most boards... but it
made my Donek Incline (one of the stiffest boards in existence) even
stiffer and I couldn't control the radius of my turns like I used to
(tightening them on demand). Maybe if I start out on a softer board it
would able been okay... but I didn't like the way the flex felt on my
Donek.

I took them out for a spin last night, on some pretty crusty snow, it had
been above freezing all day and as soon as it got dark it got really cold.

I rode them on an older Incline 168, which is clearly softer than a new
Incline 168 would be, but still a stiff board. This particular pair has
Salomon SPX6 highbacks and straps, which is part of the reason I bought
them from lonerider - I really like the Salomon straps.

In any case, my initial impressions are thumbs up. I own Salomon SP6's
so the highback and straps are essentially the same. The felt somewhat
more responsive that the straight Salomon. But not too much. I rode
them flat for half the evening and then added a little toe lift in ftont
and heel lift i back, which improved my toesides and hurt my heelsides.
Definitely going to play with that some more. The difference in feel
surprised me a bit - I actually found the Cateks to feel a little damper
than the Salomons. That really surprised me. I didn't notice the board
flexing any differently but I am 195 pounds to lonerider's 150-something.
I was expecting some jarring like lonerider experienced. Then again
those SP6's are pretty damn stiff themselves.

I might go back to the Cateks in the
future... and hopefully when they have refined the design a bit by
adding some damping material to the base-plate (either between
board/disk, or plate/foot) and order adjusting the heelcup so that the
top strap fits a little higher on the foot.

I can think of a few other places where there is room for improvement:

1) I can feel the bottom of the metal heel cup holder through my boot. I
did not hit any jumps last night and I'm not sure I want to with that
metal ready to bruise me heel. That part needs to be shaped more
ergonomically. I think simply lowering the heel cup would help.

2) Most soft bindings seem to have some kind of raised material running
down the sides, which helps guide your foot into position when you strap
in. These have nothing. It makes it harder to strap in standing up.
I'd like to see something added there.

Overall - my favorite soft binding to date. These will go on my Donek
Wide which is my favorite freeride board to date I too would like to
see the next generation. Also, a new pair seems a bit pricey. Again,
part of the reason I bought lonerider's used pair was because I wouldn't
have to cannibalize my Salomons for the straps!

Mike T

Living in the UK, I've only ridden my Cateks a few times on an artificial
slope, but compared to my old Drakes they are a big improvement. I too have
a Donek (Wide 161) and the Drakes just weren't up to the job - They would
flex loads before the board responded. Weighing in at 210lbs, the Cateks
give me much more feel.

There are a few small kickers on the slope - I haven't noticed any harshness
on landing, but my boots are very solid (Salomon Malamutes) so this may
explain it.

I've used Loctite on all the hardware and nothing has loosened so far... I
actually put Loctite on the kingpin first time 'round - DO NOT DO THIS! It
took a LOT of effort to disassemble it and I was very lucky to manage it at
all...

Off to Les Deux Alpes next weekend to try them out on some real snow - can't
wait!!

Cheers

Andy