Old December 2nd 04, 09:55 PM
Mark

Default Big Mountain vs. ???

Greetings.

My wife and I are considering a trip to Big Mountain in mid February,
and I have a few questions.

Is there enough there to keep us interested for six days of skiing?
We are upper-intermediates in our mid-forties. We enjoy everything up
through easier blacks, and would like to get some more powder
experience. Long cruisers with decent pitch (think Snowmass) are a
joy.

Does it have the potential to be intolerably cold? I don't mind zero
or five below, but -15 with a wind might be a bit tough!

For lodging, I'm considering the Alpinglow Inn which appears to meet
my criteria of moderate price, ski-in/ski-out, and outdoor hot-tub.
Is this accurate? Any other suggestions?

How's the nighlife? It's a more minor consideration. We like to hit
a few good restaurants and bars, but no major partying.

Any and all advice would be appreciated, including suggestions of
other places to go. We want to go somewhere without long lift lines
(think Vail) and with Rocky-Mountain snow, and we want to try
someplace we haven't been before. The only other place we're
seriously considering right now is Steamboat.

For background, our favorite places (that we've been, anyway) are
Snowmass, Alta, and Snowbird. We've also been to Vail, Beaver,
Highlands, PCMR, Canyons, Deer Valley, Lake Louise, and Sunshine.
Vail's terrain would have put it on the favorite list, but the crowds
are ridiculous. Park City also has a lot of the kinds of runs we
like, but the snow wasn't very good when we were there.

Thanks again for any help!

Mark