Old July 30th 05, 02:36 AM
Jack Nixon

Sam Seiber wrote:

Jack Nixon wrote:

As soon as enough snow falls, or as soon as an area or two can make enough snow
to open a trail. Once, a long time ago, Berthoud pass opened on Labor Day.

About what year was that? Oh, and in my book, it isn't an OFFICIAL
opening day
if you don't STAY open until the end of the season. If Berthoud closed
a few
days after cuz the snow melted, then it was a STUNT, not an opening day.

Sam "Thems is my rulz" Seiber

The Labor Day opening at Berthoud was in the early to mid 1960's. I remember it
because the Rocky Mountain News featured a front page picture of my then boss
enjoying the snow. Since we ran a ski shop in Denver it was an excellent free ad. Did
Berthoud remain open for the season? I have no idea, I just remember the day. Do I
lose points if it was a stunt? Ask the Colorado Skier to check the archives.

Jack