Old February 27th 04, 04:25 PM
David Off

Default speed cameras

funkraum wrote:

I notice there are no new laws aimed at tail-gating, poor merge
behavior, not stopping at stop-lights and other French specialities.
In the not too distant future there will be software and cameras which
can identify this behavior at junctions, etc. Boy am I going to have a
good laugh when that happens.

I tend to agree with you. This country (France) must have the biggest
percentage of idiot drivers in Europe, at least the Italians drive with
flair and are prepared to stop. Not the French, on and on they drive
without thinking or looking ahead.

There may have been a reduction in road deaths, but serious injuries are
up by 10% on last year. Kind of proves Funkraum's point, they are still
crashing into each other in unprecendented numbers but just doing it slower.

Of course, if you live in a big town like Paris where there are no
cameras the Police seem to think they are there for standing around
doing bugger all except harrasing the occasional arab that passes you
will not have seen any difference. 100 km/h still seems to be
acceptable in a 50 km/h zone. A doctor was recently stopped doing 147
km/h in the equivalent of Oxford St. How long after the light turns
read do you actually have to stop 1, 2... 10 seconds?

Still what can you expect when everyone expects to get a Presidential
amnesty for their offences.