Old January 24th 05, 01:31 AM
pigo

"David Harris" wrote in message
"Bob" wrote in
:

"pigo" wrote in message
newsqydncGzCpQmtGncRVn-
If I had better balance and learned faster I would try it. I
love
to see
good boarders on a high speed carve on the groomed, or ripping
up
good
lines in trees, powder, pillows. Reminds me of windsurfing,
another
sport that took a good decade to learn, but is great.

Good line? I've never seen any snowboarder do anything besides go
across the hill. If by good line you mean straight down, I could
train a stump to do that.

You've obviously been hiding from the dreaded boarders for the
last 10
years. This makes it very clear you don't know anything about
snowboarders and what they do or can do.

Bob

Dead right.

I may have shouted at some boarders at Kicking Horse last year who
were
scraping right at the top of the Stairway to Heaven lift, but
overall I
have no problem with them.

In Fernie, a couple of years back, it was boarders who were cutting
the
tightest lines thru the trees. I think it's because they can kill
their
speed by digging in the back foot which allows a tighter pivot when
things get tricky. Anyway, I know I had trouble picking my way
through
the same woods.

I also see a fair number of greyhairs boarding, and a good number
of
really good carvers (not that carving is the holy grail to me).

I don't see them carving perfect powder 8 lines, but that's not
really in
their quiver - I don't see that as a holy grail either.

For me, if you can get down virtually any line, and do it with some
grace
and a BIG SMILE, then you've discovered a key to the art of sliding
down
the snow. And I'd be happy to share it with you.

If you've got some whacky chip on your shoulder, about boarding,
short
skis, long skis, shaped skis, rear-entry boots, 5-buckle boots,
wool,
fleece, helmets, mitts, unacceptable colours for jackets, long
hair,
short hair, mohawks, piercings, lipstick, anchovies, or
micro-brews, then
maybe we'd not see eye to eye. No big deal.

The point is that no matter how a boarder gets down the ungroomed
snow, it's ****ed up for any skier to follow compared to what another
skier would have left. End of story. You can argue only that it
doesn't bother you. It bothers me. If that's a chip, so be it.

You drink micros AND wear a helmet, don't you? Are you guilty about
slavery too?