Old August 31st 05, 10:48 AM
ant

tm wrote:
Walt wrote:

There's actually an Austrailian restaurant in Flagstaff - I forget
what it's called, but I've been there and the food was pretty good.
Probably not authentic, but who can say?

That's actually a Florida-based chain.
http://archive.salon.com/travel/food.../aussie/index2.
html

That is a bloody funny page! And it says it all, really.

I remember when at Uni and waitressing at night, serving a busload of
50-something americans at an upmarket hotel restaurant (they were doing some
kind of tour). They were reading their prix fixe menu and something was
causing consternation. Eventually they called me over, and demanded to know
(insert american accent, probably midwest or texan): "those Oys-ters
Nat-Yoo-Raaaaal, duz that mean they're RAAAAW?"

which puzzled me greatly, being unaware that they came any other way. I
think our food caused them some anxious moments. As did the custom of
serving coffee at the end of the meal. They wanted it WITH the meal. They
complained that this happend at every meal they had in Australia. Funny,
that.

The food they have at that Outback place is almost purely, wholly American.
The term "Mediter-Asian" sums up our food, with a few twists.

--
ant