Old May 27th 04, 01:46 AM
foot2foot

Default Time Machine, 1930's -The Pure Stem

It's from the 1930's Kneale. Maybe you should read the title
of the post. And then read the rest of the post a bit more
carefully.

"Kneale Brownson" wrote in message
om...
"foot2foot" wrote in message

At the point when you are facing straight down hill, the shoulders
should be level with each other and square to the slope so that
your weight is equally on both feet. The inside ski should point
straight down the hill, and the outside ski at an angle to it.

With the shoulders as they are, most of the weight will be on the
outside ski, and you will be prepared to resume the normal
traverse position as you finish the turn.

************************************

How can your weight be equal while facing down the hill with the
shoulders level and square to the slope if you have one foot pushed
out and one pointed down the hill? And then how do you go from
equal to most on one?

I assume the body would be centered over the skis. I see no
reason why one couldn't have equal weighting in such a
situation. Maybe you couldn't but I'm sure I could. I do it
all the time in a braking wedge.

This kind of falls in line with the way you tend to invent things
that don't exist in relation to skiing to justify your positions on
teaching.

Then again, perhaps I'm misreading. Perhaps I *should* copy
word for word. I think I got pretty close though. It's a long
description.

If you're copying this word-for-word from someone's manual, you should
attribute it to someone. If not, it's no wonder you have trouble
with PSIA exams.

You're just mad 'cause you know good and well that my
beginners will humiliate your beginners. My beginners will make
your beginners look like fools on skis. My beginners will utterly
shred your beginners.

Sniping aside, the interesting part of this description of the pure
stem turn, for me, is the way that shoulder position is used to
distribute weight on the skis. Pulling the inside shoulder back
and pushing the outside shoulder forward and down is how the
weight is distributed. Shoulders level and square equates with
equal weight as you are directly in the fall line. Then inside
shoulder back and up, outside shoulder forward and down
puts weight on the outside ski to finish off.

If you have further questions you might refer them to Peter Lunn
or his father. I'm not sure if he or his father could still give an
answer though.