Old February 25th 04, 03:15 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Default Near fatal ski incident

Chris Cline wrote:

A shovel on the other hand might be wise for reasons other than
avalanches.

Maybe using it to knock some sense into yourself? ;- )

Having read your replies, I think you really need to re-examine your assumptions. The most dangerous assumption that we can make is that we're in control -- especially in areas with high "objective danger"-- a climbing term to note things that you can't do anything about- storms, rockfall, avalanches-- in areas where you willingly go because you want to (plain and simple- no other reason to do it.

Sorry to be so hard on you-- consider it tough love.

Hah! Imagine the welcome this would get on rec.skiing.backcountry,
talking about using skate skis and a light shell on a February
backcountry day excursion in Canada. Well said, Chris. -- GG