Old October 17th 03, 11:16 AM
Ian Spare

Default Grand-Massif Express in Samoens

On 17/10/2003 12:01, in article ,
"Ace" wrote:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:15:30 +0100, Steve
wrote:

Foucart-Dever wrote:

Samoens/Grand Massif

As it happens I''m heading that way for New Year and I can't wait. I've
never skied the area before, can anyone recommend any of the following?:

a) a good off piste guide

If you're in Flaine itself I'd suggest you use Jann Westercamp and/or
Regis Ponchaud. They've been there for years and, although not uiagm
guides, can lead and instruct all around the GM. They're about as fun
people to ski with as you could ever ask for, and will go as extreme
as you feel capable of.

b) good piste/off piste skiing - the highlights if you like?

Where to start? Actually, google groups would probably be good, as
I've posted on this before.

'ere we go:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...=3a7fe520.1278
4182%40news.cis.dfn.de
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...=ahqa9vctbamlg
3ik4trsu0ca1tu2s2akus%404ax.com

See also
http://mapage.noos.fr/pistehors/reso...ais/flaine.htm

c) good restaurants (on hill or in village).

Some. The igloo above Morillon is nice, my fave in the Flaine bowl is
L'Epicea.

Service in the Igloo can be a bit hit or miss sometimes. The Oreades above
Carroz is pretty good and excellent in the summer (irrelevant I realise). In
Flaine I like the place in the main square next to Intersport the name of
which escapes me but is also really good value. There's a place above there
which does great filled pitta bread as well next to another branch of
Intersport the name of which also escapes me. There's also Les Moillets (I
think that's the name) at the base of the lift of the same name which can be
pretty good.

In Morillon there's there's La Combe which does good pizza although I'm
unsure if Pizza is on the menu at midday.

Mmm.. So I can recommend a bunch of restaurants I can't remember the name
of:-)